Loudoun Therapeutic Riding was founded in 1974 at the Morven Park Equestrian Center in Leesburg, VA through the cooperative efforts of the Agriculture Extension office and the Loudoun 4H Riding Club. After two moves in the 1980s, LTRF returned to Morven Park www.morvenpark.org in 1995 and now has plans underway to build a permanent dedicated facility on the property. This facility will include offices, observation room, therapy room, stabling for program horses and an indoor arena.
2014 FACTS AT A GLANCE
Our Mission: Loudoun Therapeutic Riding, Inc. was formed in 1974 to empower and improve the lives of people with cognitive, physical and psychological disabilities through the benefits of equine-assisted activities and therapies, while serving our industry through training and education.
- Recognizing that horses have a significant and positive influence on people, LTR, Inc. serves the local community using (EAA/T) to benefit individuals who have disabilities or diverse needs and is a PATH Intl. Premier Accredited Center. LTR is also a member center of TRAV (Therapeutic Riding Association of Virginia). LTR acts as a host site for instructor certification, offers mentorship for instructor candidates, hosts continuing education workshops and partners with local universities offering a practicum site and research study opportunities. LTR operates year-round through the generous support of Morven Park and the Westmoreland Davis Foundation.
- LTR, Inc. offered the following programs: therapeutic riding, therapeutic driving (adaptive carriage added in 2014), Hippotherapy (provided by a licensed Physical Therapist), therapeutic horsemanship, PATH Intl. Equine Services for Heroes, summer camps, instructor mentorship.
- LTR served 325 individuals using 13 horses and ponies owned by LTR. In 2014, 157 individuals participated in 1850 lessons or sessions in ongoing weekly programs: Therapeutic Riding – 58%; Equine Experiential Learning – 12%; Therapeutic Driving – 15%; HPOT (Hippotherapy) – 10%; Adaptive Recreation Summer Camp – 5%.
- LTR employed 3 full time and 11 part time staff members including PATH Intl. Master, Advanced and Registered level therapeutic riding instructors. One PATH Intl. Certified Therapeutic Driving Instructor is also on staff. LTR contracted with one Physical Therapist who provided HPOT.
- Assisting in EAA/T were over 375 volunteers including a 9 member Board of Directors. There were over 5000 volunteer hours logged in 2014. Volunteers are vital to our success and opportunities are many: including helping in lessons by walking beside a rider offering physical support and encouragement, handling a horse during sessions, horse care and barn work or assisting with fundraising/public awareness and program development. Contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org
- LTR served individuals with the following primary diagnoses: Autism/PDD (25%), Intellectual Disabilities (25%), Cerebral Palsy (10%), Psychosocial D/O (28%), Other (12%) including: vision or hearing impaired, Mitochondrial D/O, Down Syndrome, Spina Bifida, Amputation, Traumatic Brain Injury , Cancer, Stroke.
- Participants range in age from 2-73 years, and the gender ratio was (57%) male to (43%) female.
- In addition to private-pay participants, LTR served: Loudoun County Public Schools (Monroe Tech Center), Loudoun County Parks, Recreation and Community Services, North Spring Behavioral Healthcare, Community Residences, Military Veterans. Community Partners: Morven Park, Shenandoah University, Northern VA Community College, Stratford Univ. School of Nursing, Boulder Crest Retreat.
- Morven Park graciously donated the use of the facilities. The majority of program funding comes from private donations, corporate and foundation grants.
- LTR is a participating member of United Way. Please use #8144 to designate funds. Combined Federal Campaign (CFC) #89551. LTR is a 501(c)(3) non-profit charitable organization, and please consider making a donation by visiting our website at www.ltrf.org using PayPal.