Our MissionLoudoun Therapeutic Riding empowers and improves the lives of people with cognitive, physical and psychological disabilities through the benefits of equine-assisted activities and therapies, while serving the equine services industry through training and education.
Over 40 Years of HistoryFounded in 1974, LTR was the original pilot program for therapeutic riding in Virginia. The program was created by Loudoun County 4-H Leader Barbara Baird and Journalist and LCPS School Board Member Leonard Warner under the auspices of the Loudoun County Agricultural Extension Service.
A Leader in the IndustryLTR was one of the first centers in the U.S. to earn accreditation from the North American Riding for the Handicapped Association (NARHA). Later renamed the Professional Association of Therapeutic Horsemanship International (PATH Int’l), LTR is proud to be a PATH International Premier Accredited Center (www.pathintl.org), and the only PAC in Loudoun County. Additionally, LTR is a member of the Therapeutic Riding Association of Virginia (TRAV – www.travinc.org), the Loudoun Chamber of Commerce, and the Loudoun Equine Alliance.
A Partner Serving the CommunityOur community partnerships and collaborations include:
- Morven Park (www.morvenpark.org) / Westmoreland Davis Memorial Foundation (home to LTR)
- Loudoun County Public Schools
- Loudoun County Parks, Recreation & Community Services
- North Spring Behavioral Healthcare
- Northern Virginia Community College Veterinary Technology & Occupational Therapy Assistant Programs
- Shenandoah University’s Division of Occupational Therapy