LTR is a leader in equine-assisted activities and therapies in the Northern Virginia/Metro D.C. area for individuals with physical, intellectual, and emotional challenges. We facilitate the healing power of the human-horse connection to enable growth, personal empowerment, meaningful connections, and education.
Over 40 Years of History
Founded in 1974, LTR was the original pilot program for therapeutic riding in Virginia. The program was created by Loudoun County 4-H Leader Barbara Baird and Journalist and LCPS School Board Member Leonard Warner under the auspices of the Loudoun County Agricultural Extension Service.
A Leader in the Industry
LTR was one of the first centers in the U.S. to earn accreditation from the North American Riding for the Handicapped Association (NARHA).
Later renamed the Professional Association of Therapeutic Horsemanship International (PATH Int’l), LTR is proud to be a PATH International Premier Accredited Center (www.pathintl.org), and the only PAC in Loudoun County.
Additionally, LTR is a member of the Therapeutic Riding Association of Virginia (TRAV – www.travinc.org), the Loudoun Chamber of Commerce, and the Loudoun Equine Alliance.
A Partner Serving the Community
Our community partnerships and collaborations include:
- Morven Park (www.morvenpark.org) / Westmoreland Davis Memorial Foundation (home to LTR)
- Loudoun County Public Schools
- Loudoun County Parks
- Recreation & Community Services
- North Spring Behavioral Healthcare
- Northern Virginia Community College Veterinary Technology & Occupational Therapy Assistant Programs
- Shenandoah University’s Division of Occupational Therapy